Welcome to the UKpouchies Website and Forum

The website and forum are currently undergoing some long overdue updates.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope normal service will resume soon.

Updates will be posted on our UKpouchies Facebook page.

looking for a female gpr baby

A place to advertise for any animals or accessories that you are looking for.

Moderators: Ratchet, Trekky

Forum rules
Please read the Classified Rules before posting in this section. Classified Rules
Please lock topic or delete once sale has ended
ECSmith
Random Question: Rodent
the middle number (33): 33

looking for a female gpr baby

Post by ECSmith » 31 Aug 2013 13:52

I have kept a lot of normal rats in my lifetime and recently saw a gpr on tv and fell instantly in love! I am hoping to find a female baby of around 4 weeks to buy as I have done some research and this seems like the ideal age to bond with my gpr. I am willing to travel to collect my baby and would like to interact and see the parents before any deal is made.

Hope to hear back soon!

Kind regards,

Elona Smith

Trekky
Forum Admin

Re: looking for a female gpr baby

Post by Trekky » 17 Sep 2013 14:44

Hi Elona,

A big welcome to the forum :))

Please do not get a pouched rat baby from any breeder who lets them go at 4 weeks old... as long as the breeder handles well from a very young age they will still bond brilliantly with you at 6weeks. My first ever girl was 6 weeks old and from a local exotic pet store and she was bomb proof and my bond with her was incredible, but I know how her breeder handled his babies.

For you to have your baby at 4 weeks old would mean that baby being taken from mum at 3.5weeks old when they are still feeding from mum. My babies remain with mum until 5 weeks which is when she would have started naturally weaning them from her. This also means that owners of my babies don't go away being told to give them milk of any kind which also has a risk of flooding their lungs.

Their have also been plenty of cases where babies that have gone to their new owners at 3.5 - 4 weeks have developed unknown health issues and died within the first 6 months (please take a read through the forum as you will find some recent posts from members who have had this happen)

I hope you don't mind this advice but I would hate you to have a bad experience like this with your first pouched rat :-/

If it helps you to know that my 3rd pouched rat came to me at 4 months old and I had a brilliant bond with her... please feel free to read about Nerys... I put this down to the brilliant handling of her breeder and the whole litter was the same. If you look up the UKpouchies YouTube channel you will be able to see a video of Nerys and her brothers with me at 4 months old before her brothers went off to their new homes.
Lesley Reed
lesley@ukpouchies.co.uk
Keeper & Breeder of Pouched Rats

Odo, Nerys,B'Elanna & Tora

ECSmith

Post by ECSmith » 28 Feb 2014 15:32

Thanks for the advice Trekky!

I am still looking for a little baby if you know of any breeders that have litters? Finding it hard to track down a breeder myself.

Elona

ECSmith

Post by ECSmith » 26 Mar 2014 13:31

Thanks for all the useful tips! I am still looking for a baby GPR and would be so grateful if anyone had any breeder information as I am finding it really hard to track any down :(.

Elona

Trekky
Forum Admin

Post by Trekky » 11 Apr 2014 12:33

Hi Elona,

Sadly pouched rat breeders, particularly good ones, seem to be far and few between. I have heard of a few coming up on preloved but think these are more rehomes as opposed to new litters :-o
Lesley Reed
lesley@ukpouchies.co.uk
Keeper & Breeder of Pouched Rats

Odo, Nerys,B'Elanna & Tora