Welcome to the UKpouchies Website and Forum

The website and forum are currently undergoing some long overdue updates.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope normal service will resume soon.

Updates will be posted on our UKpouchies Facebook page.

HeroRats featured in The Metro

A place to learn more about the amazing work these animals do.

Moderators: Rie x, Trekky

Squirrel
Bronze Member
the middle number (33): 51

HeroRats featured in The Metro

Post by Squirrel » 09 Nov 2010 23:59

Hey there was a half page article about Apopo and Pouched Rats featured in The Metro, the free paper dated today 9th November. The rats in the photo looked like Emins, but they did not differenciate between Gambians & Emins, they just called them 'African' pouched rats (I gather Apopo themselves don't seem to differenciate either).

Unfortunately they did not advertise the fact that one can adopt a HeroRat for only €5/month. I may write a letter to the letters page about that as it seems a pity to waste the opportunity of such a wide audience of commuters.
Mummy to fancy rat girls Gwen, Elsa & Marshmallow

Trekky
Forum Admin
Random Question: Rodent
the middle number (33): 33

Re: HeroRats featured in The Metro

Post by Trekky » 10 Nov 2010 12:10

Squirrel wrote:Unfortunately they did not advertise the fact that one can adopt a HeroRat for only €5/month. I may write a letter to the letters page about that as it seems a pity to waste the opportunity of such a wide audience of commuters.
I agree with this. All well and good doing an article to promote what they do but would have been better to advertise how people can help the cause... Its is a charity after all :-'

Thanks for letting us know about that Squirrel. Is there a link to read the article on the internet at all? The Metro's not a paper i'm familiar with :8)

I know we have asked the question of Emin's or Gambian to Apopo a while back and we're agreed with you that they don't seem to differenciate between the 2.
Lesley Reed
lesley@ukpouchies.co.uk
Keeper & Breeder of Pouched Rats

Odo, Nerys,B'Elanna & Tora

Squirrel
Bronze Member

Post by Squirrel » 10 Nov 2010 12:52

Squirrel
Bronze Member

Post by Squirrel » 10 Nov 2010 13:32

Here's what I wrote to them:

Dear Metro,

Yesterday you featured an item about the rats in Tanzania who are trained to clear landmines and detect TB in saliva samples. I would like to add that it is possible to adopt a HeroRat for only €5/month, which goes towards the training and upkeep of the rats. These rats do an amazing job and save many lives. They are not harmed by the mines. There has not yet been a single loss of rat life through setting off a mine. You will receive regular email updates on your chosen rat when you adopt. See http://herorat.org

Trekky
Forum Admin
Random Question: Rodent
the middle number (33): 33

Post by Trekky » 12 Nov 2010 21:56

Thanks for that Squirrel will have a good old read :-D
Lesley Reed
lesley@ukpouchies.co.uk
Keeper & Breeder of Pouched Rats

Odo, Nerys,B'Elanna & Tora